I love making lists of goals and such. Last year, I did a 30 Things To Do in Year 30 list (I pulled off closer to 20, but you get the idea). I thought a fun one this year would be 11 Kitchen Goals for 2011. Here are the ones that are coming to mind right now – I may edit this a bit here and there. On the month that I don’t try to pull off one of these goals, I’m going to try to do the Bittman “go meatless before dinner” thing for an entire month (and will probably stick to fish when cooking at home for dinner that month as well).
1. Prepare rabbit. I already found a butcher that stocks it and a recipe I want to try.
2. Make candy with a recipe that requires a candy thermometer. I.e. the truffles I made don’t count.
3. Bake bread. This gives me trepidation but I think that’s a good thing.
4. Try to prepare homemade pasta. My pasta roller thing is probably my longest neglected kitchen tool.
5. Debone a chicken or fish. Or both?
6. Put together Vietnamese summer rolls. I’ve had rice paper in my pantry forever, dammit.
7. Can a batch of jam/jelly. I had meant to do this after I did pickles last year but never got around to it.
8. Kill and cook lobster at home. This is the most intimidating item on the list.
9. Make mole poblano. This could also translate into “actually use my Rick Bayless cookbook”, which I was dying to get last year and have since neglected.
10. Attempt homemade cheese. Probably will start small, like ricotta.
11. Make bacon out of my pig’s pork belly. Duh.
What are your culinary goals for this year?